01 November 2010

Pure and Authentic goes on a 12 month tour of Italy



After years of thinking about it, we've finally taken the plunge and here we are in Castiglion Fiorentino (between Arezzo and Cortona) volunteering on the olive harvest in an organic farm.

The project started in October 2009, when I took my trip to the Peruvian Amazon and visited some self sufficient idyllic villages. I so much enjoyed being in the most Pure & Authentic of natural settings that I started thinking how I could bring a little of this sensation in my daily living without having to drastically change my life.

On return I enroled on a foundation course in horticulture and talked Simone into volunteering part time in an organic farm near home... we ended up adoring the experience (thanks to our first host Alessandro) and joined the Italian WWOOF organisation (World Wide Opportunities in Organic Farming) with the idea of discovering the organic side of Italy.

It took 6 months before we found the farms we were looking for and on 7 October we rented out our city home in Northern Italy and a with a heavily loaded car we ventured South to settle into our first farm in Castiglion Fiorentino (Arezzo) where we came to house and dog sit first and then help with the harvest of 400 olive trees - what a marvellous (and exhausting) experience. Read more

1 comment:

Please leave a comment